By Michelle L. (London)
When I was a little girl I thought that 25 was so old, that I would have my shit completely together by this age and have everything in life figured out; the perfect job, the best husband, and 2 kids with a white picket fence.. around my ginormous castle!
Turns out real life gets in the way and things don’t always turn out the way that we expect them to, but that’s okay because real life can be so much better than any expectations we may have for ourselves.
Not that the original fantasy doesn’t sound nice, but I don’t think that I would have been able to do half the things that I have done in my life had I fulfilled that and these experiences are a huge part of what has made me, well, me.
1)Drank the biggest glass of beer, and ate a fuckton of Bavarian pretzels, with thousands of people at Oktoberfest in Munich.
2) Traveled to over 50 countries, and 6 continents.
3) Went skydiving in Fiji, and landed right on the beach
4) Spent a stupid amount of money and bought myself a pair of Jimmy Choo’s.. Because why not?
5) Beat Cancer… Twice.
6) Traveled for over 15 music festivals around the world
7) Ate dinner at the Great Wall of China
8) Spent time interning in VIP services in Las Vegas, right out of high school
9) Dropped out of college, and started my own company (with lots of my parents help, of course)
10) Safarid in Africa, got chased by an elephant and am still here to tell the tale!
11) Woke up at 5am to see the sunrise at the Taj Mahal
12) Moved to London completely alone for a bit.
13) Partied until the sun came up in Ibiza
14) Stayed out until 6 a.m. with British soldiers we met in a bar… because YOLO? (Yes, we hate this word with a burning passion too, but how else do we describe a night like that?)
15) Jumped over the Royal Box at Wimbeldon Semi-finals, almost getting arrested just to meet Drake.
16) Spent my 21st birthday with my best friends doing 2 a days in Vegas for the weekend.
17) Fell in love, got my heartbroken, and guess what, I survived
18) Experienced one of the most religious ceremonies during Shiva month in Varnassi, it was so spiritual.
19) Witnessed the most incredible view of the sun setting over the Grand Canyon
20) Got a tattoo while completely blackout drunk, and don’t regret it for one second
21) Won a free trip to India, and took my family!
22) Took a cooking class in Tuscany, where we drank way too much wine, laughed for hours, and learned how to make pasta from scratch, how Italian of us.
23) Worked on a political campaign and loved it.
24) Went bungee jumping off one of the highest bridges in the world in Rotorua, New Zealand.
25) Volunteered in a village in the mountains of Fiji which consisted of no running water, mixing concrete with my feet, housing made of tin, poop, and wood, ramen noodles for days, showers in a river, teaching English to locals, and it changed my life.
26) Read over 150 books, and have so many to go
27) Traveled on my own to Amsterdam on 4/20, met locals and participated in local protests against the government, and it was empowering.
28) Spent New Years dancing the night away on a cruise in Rio De Jainero.
29) Got covered in nasty green slime for Nickelodeon!
30) Ate Kentucky Fried Chicken in Kentucky… Because how could I not?
31) Missed a flight and instead rented a car and spent hours singing at the top of our lungs as we road tripped all night.
32) Played with Kangaroos and Koalas in Australia
33) Visited concentration camps, with a holocaust survivor and got to hear first-hand stories.
34) Dyed my hair blue and purple, it slightly resembled ‘My Little Pony’ but I fucking loved it, and rocked it.
35) Binge watched like 10 seasons of a show in like a week
36) Went to three football games in 3 different cities, and 2 states, in 2 days!
37) Learned how to be alone, whether it’s going to the local bar for a beer, the movies, or just reading a book in the sun, I have found the importance of enjoying your own company. Just because you’re alone doesn’t mean it has to be lonely!
38) Left a note, and a prayer at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, and got to experience all of the holiness spending a Shabbat there.
39) Slept in a Bedouin tent in the desert, under the stars, it was beautiful.
40) Stayed up for a full 24 hours during Miami Music Week; started with an a pool party, then went to Ultra until closing, after partied at Wall (where I smoked with some of my favorite DJ’s until closing), watched the sunrise while driving to famed Space in downtown, and ended the morning with waffles and chocolate chip pancakes at Flashback diner.
I realize now that at 25, I have done a lot of shit, and even though none of it has to do with getting married, or even bringing me anywhere close to it I have learned far more about myself than I ever thought I would. It is okay to not have everything together by now, because I see that most 50 year olds still have no idea what they’re doing with their lives.
I still have a long way to go, but I am definitely enjoying the path to it, all of it; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Especially with a great support system of family, friends, and loved ones!
So instead of worrying about that guy that broke your heart, saving every penny you’ve ever earned, or spending your life in that 9-5, take a step back and really look at your life and see if you’re on the path that you want to be. Do something just for yourself (we recommend travel of course, but to each their own), because making you happy is the most important thing at the end of the day!